contact membership term dates
history The Hebden Cup about fencing
Frequently Asked Questions
You should be able to find the answers to most of your questions scattered around the website, however here are a few of the more common questions people ask us.
- [Q] So you're a fencer? Can you come and do my garden? (Heh, Heh, Heh)
- [A] Yep, we hear this all the time and no we can't get you any dodgy DVDs either!
- [Q] Do you do beginners' courses?
- [A] Indeed we do, although we prefer to call them "Novice" courses. Go to the Novice page for more details.
- [Q] What does it cost?
- [A] Our current membership fees and the cost of our Novice course can be found here.
- [Q] I fenced before 'X' years ago, do I need to do a course?
- [A] Possibly not. Come along and we will run you through an assessment lesson, free of charge, to see how things stand. Bring any kit you might have but be aware that standards change and we reserve the right not to allow you to use any equipment that is unsafe or not up to current standards.
- [Q] What do I wear/bring?
- [A] If you are enrolled on the Novice course, wear flat court shoes (squash shoes e.g. Hi-Tec are excellent) sweat pants/jogging bottoms and a t-shirt. Shorts/jeans and high-soled running shoes are not appropriate. In the hot weather you might want to bring a water bottle.
- [Q] Is it safe?
- [A] Yes.
- [Q] How old do you have to be/How old can you be?
- [A] Our Novice course is suitable for participants from the age of 11. How old can you be? Fencing is a sport for life; I've been beaten by a fencer in his 80's. Come and talk to us.